Saturday, March 22, 2014

First Turkey Hatch!!... Not very successful

In this first hatch I put in 32 heritage Ridley Bronze turkey eggs into the Hovabater on February 20/14 for an anticipated hatch date of March 20/14.  When I candled these eggs 2 weeks later, only 16 were viable, plus 2 others that had some development.  On March 5/14 I added 10 Lavender Orphington eggs hoping for a hatch on March 25/14.

On Monday, March 17 I took out the egg turner and increased the humidity in the incubator.  The poults started knocking the next day.  Right on time, two beautiful poults hatched out on the afternoon of Thursday March 20/14, and many others started pipping.  


By that evening 2 more had joined them.  The water trays were looking low, and I was worried about the humidity dropping, so I made the decision to add warm water and removed the four babies that evening.  Even though I only cracked the lid a little and worked as fast as I could this may have ended up be to the detriment of all the others.

By the morning of Friday, March 21/14 it was becoming apparent that the other babies were in trouble because, although they were still alive they were progressing very slowly.  By the evening of March 21/14, only one more poult had hatched.  

On the morning of Saturday, March 22/14 it was obvious that 5 of the babies had died in their shells in the process of hatching.  There were 2 still alive but stuck in their eggs, and 6 that had not pipped at all. 

I followed the advise in this link to assist the two babies that were struggling: http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.  The babies were ready, but their membranes were tight and their shells were hard.  I helped them unzip the shell the rest of the way around the top and moistened the membranes.  At that point I returned them to the incubator on a damp washcloth and they were able to kick out of the shells.  They are still in the incubator and are looking weak, but hopefully they will make it.  

The ones under the light are looking good, and are eating and drinking.  They are curious so when I showed them the water with my finger they mimicked me with their beaks and figured out how to drink.  To help encourage them to eat I put some turkey starter on a paper towel with a shiny penny on it and they pecked at it.








So, all in all, out of 18 turkey eggs in the incubator, 5 hatched on their own, 2 hatched with assistance, 5 died trying to hatch out, and 6 didn't pip at all [edit: after candling upon disposal I noticed that 2 of these were fully developed, 2 looked like early death, and 2 that hadn't developed at all].  


No comments:

Post a Comment